Who does not have a budget when it comes to building your dream log home?
Here are 10 handy tips to help you save money!
- Building up instead of out reduces cost of concrete on a large foundation.
- Keep roof lines simple.. fancy roofs cost money!
- Keep corners to a minimum.. Corners are costly to construct.
- Add a ‘Shed Dormer’ in the loft to gain more headroom thereby creating more usable square footage.
- Consider a log burning stove instead of a fireplace, the stove is more energy efficient.
- Consider the positioning of your home to take advantage of the sun in winter when the sun is lower in the sky.
- Use a laminate counter top instead of granite, carpet and tile instead of wood, stainless steel appliances will add a big cost to your budget and these are things that can be upgraded later.
- Milled double tongue and groove logs are more budget friendly than Handcrafted, timber Frame Swedish Cope or Post and Beam.
- Double Hung windows are more cost effective than Casement (wind out) windows.
- And lastly, your Sweat Equity is where you can really save the $$ – anything you can do be it laying tiles, painting, staining the logs etc. will reduce your overall costs.