“How long from when i start the process until i move into my home?”
Here are a few steps that will give you some idea of the timeline involved.
- Initial communication may be at a log home show, followed by a visit to a model home; If this is not possible then a call with the log home dealer or company to discuss your requirements log profile, corner system, size and style of the home.
- Review the plans then ask for a cost estimate, this should take between 5-10 business days.
- Initiate contract: this will get the preliminary drawings started which will then take 4-6 weeks to complete depending on how complex the plan is.
- In the meantime you should be planning job site visits, meeting with the contractors and arranging for the infrastructure (well if needed/road septic etc.)
- Once you have reviewed and approved our preliminary drawings, go to construction drawings (this process will take longer if you request more changes/reviews)
- Approximately 8 weeks later (depending on the County/State of build) you will receive your stamped and engineered plans.
- You or your contractor then apply for building permits.. this can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months, again depending on County/State of build.
This process gets you to the point where you are ready to start construction. This time frame is typically around 4 months for ‘Mr. Average’
- Excavation/footings/basement/sub floor – allow 4-5 weeks
- Erecting the weather tight package -10-12 weeks depending on size of crew/ weather etc.
- Completion of the interior – utilities/drywall/trim/floor coverings – 3-4 months.
The overall time frame for the average build should be 8-10 months but could be more if your permits take more time than the average.
Take it step by step and it will all come together!